One of the primary objectives for this review of the shipwrecks of Alaska is to shed more light on all of the marine disasters that have taken place. Obscured by time, many of the mishaps and disasters have been forgotten. Unfortunately the factors that led to them still lurk and humans still make mistakes. Several important purposes can be served by a thorough evolutionary review of Alaska Shipwrecks
- Remember those who were lost and the what, when, how and where that led to the disasters.
- Review the circumstances that led to the losses as information becomes available.
- Locate sites and identify the value of wrecks and wreck sites.
- Study the dynamics and dangers present to possibly forewarn the unwary.
- Evolve shipwreck prevention and location technology.